What is Office 365
Office 365 is a new version of the product, which offers integrated, cloud-based productivity and collaboration tools. For students, Office 365 includes your favorite Office features online. Services and tools that are included in Office 365 are Email, and other Office Web Apps like Word and PowerPoint. Here is a short video that Microsoft created about the change. Microsoft Office 365 Video
How is Office 365 different than the previous system (Outlook Live)?
After the upgrade, all users will have two accounts with the same user name and password that they use to access Outlook Live account.
· Ridgewater College E-Mail account Office 365 account): This account gives you access to Ridgewater email. Ridgewater administers this account.
· Personal Microsoft consumer account: This personal account will give you access to all your existing SkyDrive content, Messenger, Xbox settings, and other Microsoft services.
Ridgewater College no longer administers this account. As a result, we cannot reset the password for you.
After the upgrade, the two accounts will not be synced. So, if users make a password change to one account, it will not change the other account’s password.
Users will have to verify access to their Microsoft consumer accounts after the upgrade themselves in order to access SkyDrive and other Microsoft consumer services.
Otherwise, users will not notice a significant change in features. The upgrade includes the expansion of mailbox storage from 10 gigabytes (GB) in Outlook Live account to 25 GB in Office 365.
Will I be able to access e-mail during the conversion process?
You might be unable to access your email during parts of the cut-over. Messages will still be delivered to your mailbox throughout the upgrade.
What steps should I take to prepare for this conversion?
Here is what to do to prepare for this conversion.
· Internet Explorer 6 or 7: If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7, you need to install a newer version of Internet Explorer.
· Steps to take to safeguard yourself should you forget/lose your password: Please verify an alternate email address or phone number to make it easy to reset your Microsoft account password if it becomes a need during or after the upgrade. If you already have an alternate email or phone on your Ridgewater College Outlook account, still verify that the email address and phone number is current.
· If you have never added an alternate email address before, please follow the steps below:
· Click on the Security Info (located on the left hand side of the page).
· Choose what security info would you like to add by clicking on dropdown arrow on the first box.
· Enter your email or phone number and click Next
· Enter the code and you are all done.
You can also watch the video on why and how to add an alternate email address.
What steps should I take following the conversion?
· To sign in to the personal Microsoft account: Click at https://skydrive.live.com/ using the same user name and password you used with Ridgewater Outlook Live account.
· To enable e-mail on your mobile device: If your e-mail is configured to any smartphone device and/or tablet, e-mail flow should not be disrupted. If you stop receiving e-mails after the migration, please delete the account from the device and reconfigure it. For more information, please click http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc825479.aspx
Are there sites from Microsoft where I can find more information?