- Encourage your student to get involved and take advantage of affordable access to many opportunities.
- Keep in touch, whether through phone conversations, e-mail, or texting
- Remember do not criticize when you don't approve of some of the things your student might be trying - there are important lessons in these experiences.
- Don't get upset when your student changes majors; this could happen more than once.
- Emphasize that while RC offers tremendous opportunities, students must take the initiative to pursue these opportunities.
- Encourage the use of all resources available to ensure success. Students shouldn't be afraid to ask for help when they need it. Remind them to be persistent and to not give up.
- Be mindful not to let your own likes or dislikes influence your student's career choices.