Activity Director Program
Aging senior citizens need people who appreciate older generations to work with them every day. Ridgewater’s Activity Director program trains you for rewarding careers that combine compassion with purpose and fun to help senior citizens enjoy their later years while living in assisted living or long-term care facilities. You become the reason they have a social life that might include game days, field trips, memory-building activities, and more!
- Online – fully
- Fall and spring starts
Activity professionals plan and coordinate social, physical and cognitive activity programs to enhance and promote quality of life for the elderly in long-term care, assisted living, retirement communities, and other aging services. They plan weekly and monthly activity calendars, implement a variety of intervention methods and techniques for working with residents or clients in group activities or in a one-to-one setting. Activity Professionals are also responsible for calendar planning, coordinating social and special events, and leading various activity groups.
The Activity Director manages the activity department and program. Duties include supervising and training staff, planning and implementing activity programs and calendars, communicating with department supervisors, and maintaining records and policies. Some positions may also include volunteer management.
Skills you will learn
- Activity resources, planning, and delivery of activity programs
- Care planning and documentation
- Current aging issues
- Volunteer management
- Cultural diversity
- Activity department management
- Communication and leadership skills
Ridgewater’s Activity Director program is the longest-standing program in the country for teaching students to work with the elderly population. Students benefit from our industry-recognized instructor who has 33 years of experience in activity programming, delivery, and management. She helps develop students’ compassion and understanding of the aging generation to meld a perfect mix of caring for and caring about grandparents like yours.
Modular Education Program for Activity Professionals (MEPAP) online classes are nationally certified through Quality Matters.
Program attributes that help students thrive
- Flexible online program format which opens the door for students near and far
- Experienced online instructor well known in activity profession
- Internships, volunteer experiences, and community service to garner support and build confidence
- Hands-on activity assignments and projects for students to gain experience in the field or enhance current work position
- Prior learning/work experience credit for those who are eligible
- Continuing collaboration and networking with current and past students through Facebook
Our most successful Activity Director students are good at time management, self-motivation, computer skills, and have reasonable reading and writing communication skills. There’s a growing, aging population waiting for people like you!
Salary and Job Outlook Activity Director
|Potential Careers for Graduates||Entry Level Annual Wage 2018||Median Annual Wage 2018||Projected Growth Rate 2016-2026||Projected Regional Job Openings 2016-2026|
|Social & Community Service Managers||$42,723||$70,096||7%||276|
Degrees and Certificates