Helping others is at the core of many rewarding careers such as chemical dependency counseling or social work. Ridgewater’s Human Services education can help you develop the sensitive, empathetic professional foundation you need to be successful. By learning to understand human behavior, dynamics, and circumstances, you can reach your goal of making a difference in people’s lives.
Knowledge you will gain
- Addiction and symptoms
- Emotional and social effects
- Prevention, intervention, assessment, and treatment
- Counseling techniques
- Group processes like communication, counseling, and leadership
- Case management
Human services courses help you help others by building your self-awareness and your interpersonal skills. Ridgewater’s Chemical Dependency Counseling certificate program can train you to be an in-demand Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) or can be a solid first step toward becoming a licensed social worker or psychologist. Ridgewater’s personable and accessible faculty offer diverse backgrounds from both psychology and counseling professional experiences. They focus on social work but can work with you on individualized education plans.
Attributes that help students thrive
- Small class sizes for personal peer and faculty connections
- Clear expectations
- Direct connections from classroom to work through practicum and internship experiences
- Convenient online/blended courses
- Curriculum developed in accordance with standards of the Minnesota Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy and the Minnesota Certification Board
Note: Chemically dependent individuals entering the Chemical Dependency Counseling field must have one year of sobriety before the pre-professional practicum and internship and pass a background check. See an advisor for details.
An effective counselor, social worker or psychologist often brings life experiences to a position, but past personal challenges are not required to help others. Take a Human Services class or two out of curiosity, train to be a chemical dependency counselor, or begin your journey toward a bachelor’s degree at Ridgewater College. Hundreds of students complete their first two years of virtually any four-year degree at Ridgewater where tuition is very affordable before transferring to their preferred university.
Degrees and Certificates